Our role in this practice area focuses on strategic litigation. We get involved from the pre-litigation stage to analyze the strengths and weaknesses and formulate strategies of any particular case, and we see it all the way through to the judicial litigation stages and any subsequent appeals, if any.
For each case, we make sure to conduct an in-depth analysis to get a comprehensive understanding of the case at hand, and to assess critical arguments that strengthen our client’s position. We ensure to deliver to our clients the best legal representation possible through our highest standards of excellence and technical expertise, combined with our extensive practical litigation experience and know-how on delivering the right message to the right audience.
In addition, the business strategies of our clients are always taken into account so that the strategies executed by our team in and out of the proceedings are in line with the business goals of our clients. After all, conflicts and litigation are part of a company´s daily routine; however, they must not become an end-goal in itself.
Our team consists of outstanding well-trained professionals who are constantly sharpening their knowledge while combining technical expertise with a wide-ranging practical approach. Moreover, we constantly strive to uphold the highest ethical and moral values which serve as our compass in the practice of law. Undoubtedly, we always act with independence and enthusiasm but also with consideration, respect and care in the handling of our work on behalf of our clients.
Our litigation expertise covers in particular the following areas:
- Construction and engineering
- Business contracts in general
- Distribution agreements
- Complex insurance policies such as directors and officers liabilities (D&O)
- Sports-related transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A)
- Real Estate
- Dissolution/winding up of entities and exclusion of shareholders/members
- Joint ventures and other corporate entities under conflict amongst shareholders/members
Our international experience also enables us to represent foreign clients in litigation proceedings in Brazil (inbound litigation), or Brazilian clients in other jurisdictions (outbound litigation). This is done through consolidated partnerships with other leading law firms in countries such as Spain, England, France, United States, Trinidad & Tobago, and Chile, among others; as well as harnessing our team’s broad cultural knowledge and language fluency in English, Spanish, French, and Korean. A good number of our attorneys have earned advanced degrees and academic qualifications abroad and have been visiting attorneys with top law firms in other countries including England, United States, France, Spain, and Korea.
- Representation of a Brazilian investment company involved in commercial and criminal litigation proceedings in Spain relating to the transfer of a Brazilian athlete between football clubs. The litigation involves issues relating to private corruption and fraud and seeks criminal penalties for the defendants, as well as indemnification to our client
- Representation of a Brazilian distributor of precision agricultural equipment in litigation proceedings whereby our client seeks the maintenance of the contract and indemnification after several breaches and illegal termination by the manufacturer
- Representation of a Brazilian construction company in pre-arbitral proceedings to obtain an injunction that prevents the payment of first-demand guarantees attached to a FIDIC Yellow Book contract in the amount of US$150 million dollars
- Representation of a banking institution of the Republic of Cape Verde in a process of extrajudicial liquidation of a Brazilian debtor amounting to more than R$200 million
- Defense of a company in a civil action in which the plaintiff seeks to annul an arbitration award in favor of our client due to procedural errors
- Representation of a Brazilian company in litigation involving insurance coverage arising from D&O insurance
JUDICIAL RECOVERY: “KNOWING THE RIGHT TIME TO FILE A CLAIM IS FUNDAMENTAL TO RESTRUCTURE THE BUSINESS ON TIME”
IV Congresso de Processo Civil de Florianópolis
Hoje começa o Congresso de Processo Civil de Florianopolis, evento anual que reunirá 1.200 participantes. Nosso sócio Paulo Magalhaes Nasser participará como palestrante no painel dedicado aos negócios jurídicos processuais.
ICCA - International Council for Commercial Arbitration
Our partner, Paulo Magalhães Nasser, participated in the workshop “Oral Advocacy in International Arbitration”, promoted by the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), in Rio de Janeiro.
The event took place on May 7 in Rio de Janeiro.
Congresso de Direito Processual Civil
The Congress of Civil Procedural Law promoted by OAB Santos took place on June 18.
Our civil litigation partner, Paulo Magalhães Nasser, participated in the panel on “Binding Precedents and the Impacts of Advocacy”.
Harvard Law Brazilian Association Legal Symposium
From April 16th to 20th, the Law in the 21st Century symposium was held at the Harvard Law School, with the participation of jurists from various nationalities discussing current issues in the Brazilian and North American legal scenario.
The fight against corruption; the economic analysis of the law; the impacts of artificial intelligence; and alternative forms of dispute resolution were prominent themes of the event.
Our partner Paulo Magalhães Nasser was one of the exhibitors, addressing aspects of international dispute resolution by arbitration.
Our office, following its guideline of encouraging technical and scientific deepening, was one of the sponsors of the event.
Press Conference - DIS - Neymar Case
On March 29, 2017, our client DIS held a press conference in relation to its lawsuit against Neymar Jr. and Barcelona FC, together with MNA partner Paulo Magalhães Nasser, Grupo Sonda’s president and DIS’ CEO.