Mergers and Acquisitions
We have vast experience in advising on all types of corporate M&A related transactions (whole or partial acquisitions, divestments, reorganizations, industry-specific issues, etc.), whether inbound transactions (foreign companies and investors making an acquisition/investment into Brazil) or outbound transactions (Brazilian entities making an acquisition/investment in foreign jurisdictions) while keeping in mind tax, labor, litigation, environmental, regulatory and all other issues and related approvals needed for each local jurisdiction when undertaking such transactions. We indeed specialize in negotiating and undertaking on all types of M&A related transactions of any size, amount or complexity.
Our firm’s highly qualified M&A professionals are capable of offering a full range of legal services from pre-deal to signing to closing to even post-closing integrations of the merged businesses. Unlike other top firms in Brazil, our M&A practice group counts with an experienced New York lawyer who is an expert in the international and cross-border M&A arena with experience in handling some of the biggest and most complex cross-border acquisitions in the US, Latin America and Asia. With our team of top-notch M&A lawyers with vast international and cross-border transactional experience, we consistently find and execute the best ways to reach our clients’ intended objectives and can do so on the fast-track in a practical and cost-effective manner.
What We Do
- Structure, draft, negotiate and implement purchase and sale transactions relating to acquisitions of wholly-owned companies, partial equity interests, assets and other corporate transactions;
- Structure, draft, negotiate and implement investment and joint venture transactions;
- Structure, draft and negotiate all finance-relating documentation in order to finance M&A and/or resulting operations;
- Structure and implement corporate reorganizations in order to tap into synergies arising from merged operations;
- Advise on and devise strategies for acquisitions involving family-owned, mid- and large-sized, and publicly-held companies;
- Conduct legal audits and due diligence investigations, and set up and manage data rooms;
- Strategize and defend shareholder rights.
- Advised the founders of Brazil’s largest toy retail network in the sale of equity interest to one of the largest global private equity funds;
- Acted as legal advisor to a company specializing in data center infrastructure and maintenance in the two investment and sale of equity transactions with two of the largest private equity funds in the world;
- Provided legal assistance to the lamp distributor and precursor of the LED industry in Brazil in the sale of part of the equity interest of its founders to a Brazilian private equity fund;
- Advised the leading multinational in the welding and automation market, with more than 40 industries worldwide, in various acquisitions and mergers in Brazil;
- Advised a private equity with focus in minority equity investments in the sale of a data center infrastructure and maintenance company to one of the top private equity funds in the world;
- Acted as legal advisor to one of the global leaders in the nylon market, operating in more than 70 countries and with 5 manufacturing centers around the world, in two strategic acquisitions in Brazil;
- Advised a number of technology companies, including medium and large-sized companies as well as start-ups in various sale and purchase transactions representing both the market consolidators as well as the selling parties;
- Advised several small- and medium-sized retail companies (mainly supermarkets) in investment transactions, mergers and sale of equity interest to strategic and financial investors;
- Advised the leading multinational in the filtration, separation and purification sector in various business acquisitions in Brazil
- Acted as legal advisor of the leading group in the Brazilian roasted and ground coffee market in local acquisitions, which cemented its market leadership and strengthened its presence as a national powerhouse;
- Advised a Franco-swiss pharmaceutical multinational specializing in dermatological treatments in certain acquisitions of strategic Brazilian companies;
- Provided legal assistance to several sale and purchase transactions in the Brazilian auto parts market, acting for both the market consolidators and the selling groups;
- Advised the founders of one of the most traditional clinical laboratories in Minas Gerais in the sale of its equity interest to a strategic investor and a well-known consolidator of this market sector;
- Acted as legal adviser to a foreign group considered as one of the global leaders in the flavors and fragrances market, with operations in more than 145 countries and with 34 manufacturing centers around the globe, in various acquisitions in Brazil.
On August 22nd, 2018, the annual M&A and Private Equity forum promoted by Mergermarket in São Paulo took place, with the participation of MNA Bruno H. S. Guarnieri and the foreign consultant Mark M. Cho.
IT M&A Seminar
Our partner, Bruno H. S. Guarnieri, and the foreign consultant of MNA, Mark M. Cho, participated on June 19, at the IT M&A Seminar event promoted by TTR (Transactional Track Record).
The event aimed to discuss the importance and role of the information technology sector in mergers & acquisitions and the current scenario of M&A in Brazil.
AIJA 2016 - Munich
One of the speakers was MNA Tax partner José Mauricio Abreu, who delivered a presentation on international tax transparency.
AIJA 2016 - Chicago
Partner Bruno Guarnieri was at the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA) Chicago conference from May 18-21.
The event addressed technical developments and attendees got a chance to exchange ideas and network in-between sessions on interdisciplinary matters involving real estate purchases and succession planning.
Bruno is currently a member of AIJA’s Executive Committee
On September 24, the 2015 M&A and Private Equity Forum discussed the current state of this sector of business in Brazil.
MNA’s founding partner J.A.Miguel Neto was on the panel discussing “M&A in Brazil: the road to recovery.”